TheSmashNetwork
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am going to watch a film a day for a year!

2 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

I am going to watch a film a day for a year! Empty I am going to watch a film a day for a year!

Post by Penguin Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:48 am

I am going to try something that I have wanted to try before. The new year starts tomorrow and with me being a film student at college and hopefully starting a film course in September at university I want to set myself a challenge to watch at least one film every single day that I haven't seen before until 1st January 2015.

I will use this thread to track my progress and to talk about the films I have watched. If you want to suggest a film for me to watch then please, feel free to do so. Thank You!

I will be listing every film I have watched that day including films that I have watched before. I will also be stating the amount of minutes the film runs for so I can add it all up at the end of the year.

1st March - The Evil Dead (85 mins)
2nd March - The Jerk (94 mins)
3rd March - Let it Ride (90 mins)
4th March - Planet Terror (105 mins)
5th March - Fargo (98 mins) & Kill Bill Vol. 1 (111 mins)
6th March - Robot & Frank (89 mins)
7th March - Evil Dead II (84 mins)
8th March - Bloodsport (92 mins)
9th March - Up In Smoke (86 mins)
10th March - Cheech and Chongs Next Movie (99 mins)
11th March - Nice Dreams (88 mins) and Natural Born Killers (118 mins)
12th March - Lone Survivor (121 mins)
13th March - Delivery Man (105 mins)
14th March - Donnie Darko: Directors Cut (133 mins)
15th March - Ruthless People (93 mins)
16th March - Hot Rod (88 mins)
17th March - Enough Said (93 mins)
18th March - When Harry Met Sally (96 mins)
19th March - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (119 mins)
20th March - Pretty Woman (119 mins)
21st March - Memento (113 mins)
22nd March - 13 Sins (88 mins) & Kill Bill Vol. 2 (137 mins)
23rd March - BASEketball (103 mins)
24th March - Cheap Thrills (88 mins)
25th March - Grandmas Boy (94 mins)
26th March - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (161 mins)
27th March - The Tournament (95 mins)
28th March - Swingers (96 mins)
29th March - The Beach (119 mins)
30th March - The Basketball Diaries (102 mins) & Paranormal Activity(86 mins)
31st March - Summer Rental (87 mins)

Current Total: 117 Films = 11975 mins approx.
Attachments
I am going to watch a film a day for a year! Attachment
January 2014.doc January ArchiveYou don't have permission to download attachments.(29 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
I am going to watch a film a day for a year! Attachment
February 2014.doc February ArchiveYou don't have permission to download attachments.(32 Kb) Downloaded 0 times

Last edited by Penguin on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:42 am; edited 119 times in total
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

https://thesmashnetwork.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

I am going to watch a film a day for a year! Empty Re: I am going to watch a film a day for a year!

Post by Penguin Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:03 am

1st January 2014

Face/Off (1997)  - a great concept with two great actors playing lead roles. It was strange to see Nicolas Cage as a villain as I can't remember the last time I have seen his as a villain. John Travolta played his role well too.  I found the mirror scene when they are both looking into the mirror with their guns drawn quite interesting and it is probably one of the most memorable scenes within the movie from my perspective.
My Rating: 7/10

Olympus Has Fallen (2013) - A great movie which I think is underrated where IMDb is concerned. It was nice to see both Gerard Butler and Morgan Freeman in this film with them both being great actors. The story was pretty interesting and the movie was pretty much action packed throughout and wasn't over the top.
My Rating: 7.5/10

The Last Stand (2013) - An enjoyable movie. Acting is good for the most part but sometimes can be cheesy. The film is funny at times, especially when Johnny Knoxville is on screen. However it's not very realistic and it's not something I would want to watch twice. The movie would hardly be bearable without Arnold Schwarzenegger being in it.
My Rating: 5.5/10

Last edited by Santa on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

I am going to watch a film a day for a year! Empty Re: I am going to watch a film a day for a year!

Post by Penguin Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:13 am

2nd January 2014

Starsky & Hutch (2004) - funny at times with some of my favorite comedy actors Starsky and Hutch is an OK film with an over the top, unrealistic, unoriginal storyline about two police officers having to bond with each other as partners for the first time. They have to bust a cocaine deal but run into many problems along the way. I thought the film was silly at times but was overall ok.
My rating: 5/10

How I Spent My Summer Vacation (2012) - a somewhat strange movie but actually fairly interesting. It was hard to follow at times but I think it's probably worth a second watch to help understand it a little better. The acting was great and the ending was pretty good too. It was unrealistic at times but overall was actually a good movie.
My Rating: 6/10

Super Troopers (2001) - this film has gotten a lot of great reviews on IMDb. Some people have said this is the funniest film they have ever seen. Am I missing something? I only finished watching this film so that I could give it this review. It had a few lines that I found funny but overall this film for me wasn't worth the watch at all. Please, if you liked this film can you explain it to me?
My Rating: 3/10
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:17 am

3rd January 2014

The Raid (2011) - wow, this film is incredible. In fact it is the best action movie I have ever seen. The action is brutally gory throughout and the story is pretty interesting too. At times it is unrealistic in the sense of how powerful our main character is but it's really ok because it looks amazing. This movie has everything a good action movie needs. Good fight scenes, ultra-violence, martial arts, sharp weapons, blunt weapons, blood and new creative ways to kill. Just watch it. I can't express myself enough. I can't wait for Raid 2.
My Rating: 10/10
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:55 am

4th January 2014

Daddy Day Care (2003) - okay, I have seen this film before but it was a very long time ago. I hardly remembered the movie apart from a few little things like the toilet scene. It's an okay film but it tried a little to hard to be funny at times. I didn't laugh at many of the jokes and many of the characters weren't realistic. However, I did somewhat enjoy the film at times and it did manage to make me smile.
My Rating: 5/10

The Jazz Singer (1980) - I would never normally watch this film but my parents insisted the film was great. They both like Neil Diamond a lot so I think it does kind of influence them to like the film more. It was an alright film I'll give it that but I did find it hard to find interest in it at times. I liked the ending and the story is interesting at times. This is probably a personal thing though. If you like Neil Diamond or can relate to the story you will probably like it more.
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:57 am

5th January 2014

The Expendables (2010) - many brilliant actors, cool effects, awesome gore and lots of explosions. The Expendables should be up there with the best action movies of all time right? No. This film was hard to get through because the plot was ridiculous and the movie was VERY unrealistic. It was just an extremely stupid film. Personally I'd say it's not really worth the watch.
My Rating: 4/10

The Dark Knight (2008) - well, I finally found the need to watch this film. I'm not a fan of superhero type movies and haven't seen many of them but I enjoyed the Dark Knight even though it was a little long and wasn't always full of action. It's clearly a very well made film and has done very well for itself being rated the sixth best film of all time on IMDb and the best film so far of this millenium. But I don't agree with this fully. Yes, it's a great film but not one of the greatest films of all time. It's definitely worth a watch if you get the time however.
My Rating:8/10
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:13 am

6th January 2014

Oldboy (2003) - finally got around to watching this. It's a great film but fairly slow paced and confusing throughout. The first time watching it for me was fairly hard but the last 10 minutes or so were fantastic and mindblowing. A second watch of this will probably be better than the initial watch. Watch this if you haven't already.
My Rating: 8.5/10

Shanghai Noon (2000) - a fairly humorous movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. I like Owen Wilson as an actor quite a lot which allowed me to enjoy the film more that I probably normally would have and Jackie Chan also proved to be pretty good in this movie. However the film was a little too long for what it was and it kind of got boring at times. Overall though it was worth the watch even though there are many better movies out there.
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:20 am

7th January 2014

The Last King of Scotland (2006) - a very interesting movie. Our main actors are brilliant and the story is based on a real president of Uganda who was responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths. There are a few comedy elements in the film but the majority of the film is very serious. This film if definitely worth the watch
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:44 pm

8th January 2014

The Usual Suspects (1995) - wow, another film with an exceptional ending. The only bad thing about this movie is the fact that it is fairly hard to follow at times and the movie sometimes has a slow pace but by the end of the movie everything adds up and your mind is blown. A very good movie.
My Rating: 8/10

Blade Runner (1982) - sweet film. Seriously awesome and another mind blower. A very good watch and definitely worth a rewatch. Great effects, cool gore and amazing story and ending. However it does get a little slow at times.
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:54 pm

9th January 2014

Sin City (2005) - this film is incredible. I've been missing out by not watching this. I saw it on Netflix and decided to watch it knowing that it's probably going to be worth the watch. It's more than just worth a watch. It's worth multiple rewatches. The film style is beautiful and correct me if im wrong but it has a film noir style? I love the idea that only some things had colour. The film is very artistic and the cinematographer of this film is a genius. I hope the next one will be as good. Yes, it's unrealistic but it's not trying to be realistic. If you haven't seen it then please, just watch it.
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:24 pm

10th January 2014

Ratcatcher (1999) - a good movie which I found much better than her second movie (Morvern Caller) which I disliked a lot. I had to watch both of these in film studies but I watched Morvern Caller in December and Ratchater today. It has a decent story and is very gritty and real. I also liked the main characters a lot which allowed me to enjoy the movie a lot more. The movie is slow however and never really gets exciting but that's OK because the films keeps you watching purely due to interest in what you're going to see next in the narrative.
My Rating: 6.5/10
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:43 pm

11th January 2014

The Cabin in The Woods (2012) - so for a long time I thought this film was just going to be some sort of conventional horror set in the woods where everyone dies apart from our protagonist girl. I'm not going to spoil for it for anyone but this film is very different to the norm. Yes, many of our conventional characters die in conventional ways but it states this at the end of the movie in a very original way. This film is actually very good and also is very interesting. Oh, it's gory and funny too.
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:07 am

12th January 2014

Dredd (2012) - a great movie with awesome effects and lots of gore. Dredd is definitely worth the watch. It has some great one liners and an awesome plot set in the future where the crime rate is at an all time high. If you haven't seen this film I would recommend that you see it as soon as you can.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - this is the first time I've actually watched this film in its entirety. However, I did watch parts of this film a long time ago when I didn't really follow the story or the things that were happening. However, I remembered most of the ending and as I was watching the film some of it came back to me. It's a very good film, an amazing film infact. I'm sure I don't need to say much more because most of you have probably seen it already.
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:19 am

13th January 2014

Taxi Driver (1976) - one of the slowest movies that I've seen in a long time. But it's also one of the best. This film is very realistic and focuses our main character (Travis Bickle) who is developing metal issues and such. He ends up purchasing weapons and then using them. However, I won't go into detail for those who haven't seen it. Anyway, as slow as this movie is it is actually a great movie which definitely keeps you thinking afterwards.

I know that I have been giving a few 10's out recently. But that's only because I have been watching great movies. I have now come to realise that The Raid isn't my favorite movie. It is still very good but Sin City and The Shawshank Redemption are better movies.
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:39 am

14th January 2014

Headhunters (2011) - a very well made thriller with decent camera work and effects. The movie was pretty realistic and even had some elements that I found humorous (which weren't probably meant to be). However, it was hard to follow at times and I think that the idea of Roger being an art-thief wasn't touched upon enough. In fact after the first 45 minutes or so of watching the film we almost forget he was a even a thief. I did anyway. I think you'd have to watch it to understand what I mean. Anyway, I still enjoyed the film even though it felt like it dragged on at times.
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:39 am

15th January 2014

Hummingbird (2013) - a pretty good film about a man who had seen 5 of his friends die together in a matter of seconds whilst at war. He runs away and leaves the army and starts to live a life full of alcohol but when some pimp types take "something" from him he goes on a revenge course against a certain man. He becomes close to a local nun who helps at the homeless shelter. This film is very different to something I have ever seen in terms of character relationships and has a lot of good (and pretty realistic) action sequences. This film is definitely worth the watch.
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:35 pm

16th January 2014

Takers (2010) - I was enjoying this film until the last 10 minutes or so. It has some good actors including Paul Walker who I didn't actually know was in this film. The films main plot (apart from the end) was ok and the action sequences were actually very good. The film was quite believeable in most parts and the crew really do look good together. I'm just a bit disappointed with the ending of the film.
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:19 am

17th January 2014

We Need To Talk About Kevin (2011) - a very saddening film which remains very real throughout. You feel very sorry for Kevin's mother in this film and the acting from both Kevin and herself was very believable. This film is very powerful and is worth the watch. Lynne Ramsay (the director) has done a great job.
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:43 am

18th January 2014

Tower Block (2012) - not a bad film but not great either. Story was pretty boring and it's nothing new. For a fairly low budget film though they've done a decent job.
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:41 am

19th January 2014

Wonderland (2003) - a movie based on the real life Wonderland murders (which I didn't know about until watching this film). It's a decent film but isn't amazing. However, the story is very interesting and it has made me research a little more into it. I will probably be watching a documentary later about the 20 most infamous hollywood murders as it has this particular story on it. This film is worth a watch if you're interested in these types of things.
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:53 am

20th January 2014

Nothing To Lose (1997) - a great comedy film that achieved many laugh out loud moments for me which is pretty rare. The story is pretty good too and the acting is great too but you'd expect nothing less from some of the actors. It only loses a few marks because at times it can be a bit "silly" and it's not a masterpiece in visuals or camerawork. Not that it needs to be though.
My Rating: 7/10
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:03 am

21st January 2014

Escape From Alcatraz (1979) - didn't enjoy this movie much even though I know many people think a lot of it. I am very interested in Prison Break type movies and a big fan of the TV show but this movie didn't move me in any way. I didn't like the majority of the characters (I only liked English and Doc) and it seemed that the only real "villain" in this film was Wolf. I think the movie is overrated. If I didn't like prison movies this one would probably get a lower rating. Probably good for its time though.

Last edited by Penguin on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:35 pm

22nd January 2014

Blue Streak (1999) - a lot better than I was expecting even though it was a little silly at times but it's obviously not trying to be serious. Story was ok but very character development and ending could have been a lot better. Very unrealistic but again it's not trying to be realistic. Worth a watch, I got a few laughs.
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:47 am

23rd January 2014

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013) - a very good addition to the series. I really cannot wait until the 3rd addition. A great film which shocked me towards the end (seeing as I haven't read the end of the 2nd book). I'm very happy I got around to watching this.
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:55 am

24th January 2014

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) - a good comedy film which I found funny at times and had quite a lot of interesting camera work surprisingly. I also liked the use of "breaking the 4th wall". However a lot of the film was fairly silly and I didn't always find it funny. This may be because of my age though. I'm 18 and teen-comedies are a lot different now.
Penguin
Penguin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next